Verdant Brink was released with Heart of Thorns (HoT) content. Compared to all of the previous maps we were exposed to, this map along with the others from HoT kicked up the 3D chess game. Want to know more about this area and it's meta? Let's get started!
First and foremost, I HIGHLY recommend to get a mount of some type. Preferably one that can scale vertically. Trust me, it will make your visit way easier. It wouldn't hurt to unlock the basics of the glider either because sometimes you'll find yourself falling through the canopy, to your death. If a mount won't work, at least get some points dumped into gliding.
This map has 3 phases: day, dusk/night, and night. During the day phase, you work on getting each zone "secured". Once dusk/night hits, you will need to head to a main waypoint and build up the defenses there. To do this, you will have to fight waves of Mordremoth enemies while holding the perimeter. In between these phases, you will have the ability to seek out Pact Supplies in the area which can upgrade that outpost (can upgrade during the fight too). Getting an outpost to at least tier 3 helps the defense phases significantly, but not required. As long as one outpost is held, the bosses will be accessible. There are a total of 5 bosses that happen. In general, the order goes as such:
- Matriarch Wyvern - Pact Encampment Waypoint
- Patriarch Wyvern - Shrouded Ruins Waypoint
- Frogs - Jaka Itzel Waypoint
- Axemaster - Faren's Flyer Waypoint
- Triad - Mellaggan's Valor Waypoint
One of the important things to point out for this map and it's meta: try to get all of the events done in each "zone". In total, there are 5 zones, shown in the map here.
|Zones are color-coded: green, red, purple, white, and blue|
When you successfully progress the map events, you increase the amount of rally points accessible per zone. Each zone can have up to 4 rally points, totaling in 20 injection points for the fight up top. The more rally points held, the higher in tier progress the map will be.
Noble Crash Site
|Located in the southwestern part of the map|
This is located in the southwestern area of the map, with the main waypoint at Faren's Flyer Waypoint
Honestly, if you start from the beginning, it all flows from one to the next. If you're joining somewhere in the midst of this meta chain, everything is near the main waypoint. Just look around for the notification of a nearby event or head to the orange areas on the map.
Pale Reaver Rally Site
|Located in the southeastern part of the map|
This is located in the southeastern area of the map, with the main waypoint at Shipwreck Peak Waypoint [&BN4HAAA=]. Head southwest towards one of the potential rally points. This is where the meta for the pre-nightly phase starts and proceeds as such:
- Destroy the Mordrem breachers to cut off enemy reinforcements (total of 5)
- Plant explosives from the crashed choppers on the colossal vine's weak points
- Escort Laranthir and Skybreaker into the ruins
- Keep enemies away from Skybreaker while she plants explosives
- Escort Laranthir and Skybreaker through the ruins
- Destroy the colossal vine
It is worth running this particular meta all the way through (or mostly) because once night falls, the Shrouded Ruins Waypoint will have a chopper right there. This means faster return to the fight in case you die. With that said, it is ideal to defend this particular rally point outpost out of all the potentials for this region.
Jaka Itzel Site
|Located in the northeastern part of the map|
This is located in the northeastern area of the map, with the main waypoint being Jaka Itzel Waypoint
As long as the main outpost at Jaka Itzel Waypoint survives, you should be fine. This particular main outpost will be just south of the waypoint listed, across the gap. Luckily, the waypoint doesn't get contested during the night phase.
The Ordnance Corps Site
|Located in the northwestern part of the map|
This main outpost is located at Mellaggan's Valor Waypoint
- Clear hostiles from the Ordnance Corps outpost
- Defend Tactician Pitto as she builds a defensive tower
- Defend Tactician Quickweld as he builds a defensive tower
- Defend Tactician Devonnah as she builds a defensive tower
- Defend the Corps cavern outpost
- Defend Baroosh and secure the Ordnance Corps crash site
- Defend the Ordnance Corps airship
- Defend the Pact tower (will repeat until nightfall)
- Salvage damaged armaments to build bombs
- Plant bombs to destroy the Blighting Tree
From running this a few times, I can honestly say DO NOT AFK HERE. You might think that the waypoint zone is safe, but it isn't. If you absolutely need to afk here, get on a Skyscale and climb up into the air. There's a lot of activity here once the outpost is fully completed. As long as the main rally point is kept, you can use it for fast traveling to the canopy.
Pact Encampment Site
|Located in the middle of the map|
This is the big focal point of this map, smack dab in the middle. Pact Encampment Waypoint
- Clear the Pact Camp of Mordrem
- Escort the chief engineer to safety
- Escort the master-at-arms to safety
- Escort the ship's doctor to safety
- Encourage the Pact Encampment defenders to pick a leader (it doesn't matter who is picked)
- Safeguard survivors attempting to reach the Pact Encampment
- Help calibrate the Mordrem early warning system
- Recover cannon components from the wreckage
- Rescue the captive sylvari from vigilantes
- Question sylvari refugees and determine where their loyalties lie
- Destroy tendril and their source
- I have rarely found a map or a time where this outpost isn't secured. As long as someone is here keeping the rally point safe, the chopper will appear. It would be best for you to know where the choppers are in this area JUST in case the one right below the waypoint isn't available. If, however, there are no available choppers BUT you want to get to the matriarch fight, head to the patriarch chopper location. Once you get up to the top, jump off the northwest corner and head downwards. You'll see the platform there. Check the map provided in the legendary and champion boss section down below.
- Usually aiming for tier 4 or higher is ideal due to the rewards given, but that doesn't always happen. As long as outposts are held, you'll have access to the boss fights up top. In order to get to tier 4 or more, a coordinated map is needed.
Legendary and Champion Boss Fights
|Red = triad | Blue = Axemaster | Pink = Matriarch | Green = Frogs | Purple = Patriarch|
Needless to say, this map still gains some sort of popularity to those who park an alt character on the Wyvern Matriarch platform and destroy the boss before others can manage to get up there. My best advice is to head to the Pact Encampment Waypoint
|Legendary Wyvern Matriarch|
Shrouded Ruins Waypoint
|Legendary Wyvern Patriarch|
There are 2 giant frogs that need their butts kicked. To gain access to these 2 champions, head to Jaka Itzel Waypoint
Faren's Flyer Waypoint
Mellaggan's Valor Waypoint and go up.